Heli-X and SteamLink

Installation and usage on Windows / Installation unter Windows
azaz44

Heli-X and SteamLink

Post by azaz44 »

Did anybody succeed running Heli-X over SteamLink? Steam requires an EXE for the game to add it to the library, but Heli-X is a batch file with tons of stuff inside.
Michael

Re: Heli-X and SteamLink

Post by Michael »

Hi, in version 11,we include a stream link with a chat box et cetera ...
DruiD

Post by DruiD »

Hi Michaeal, not sure but I think they did mean sTEam not sTREam link.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/

Allows you to "cast" steam apps to your TV remotely from your PC in another room etc.
DruiD

Post by DruiD »

@az
azaz44 wrote:
26 Sep 2022 18:41
Did anybody succeed running Heli-X over SteamLink? Steam requires an EXE for the game to add it to the library, but Heli-X is a batch file with tons of stuff inside.
Yes, I did, I used a simple process to convert the .BAT file to a .EXE - added the .EXE to my Steam library - and run it via STeam Link to my TV.
I assume thats what your trying to do... and yes it works.

The BAT file runs a ssequence of JAVA files, so you just have to workk out what method to convert to EXE works for your verssion of windows, your speccific PC setup etcc- and whilst I can recommend to explain via direct message, I prefer not to public publish as a) its not supported method for Heli-X otherwise author would have done it so defintely wont post without their approval\guidance b) will cause other problems for people that dont understand the proccess and can't do it carefully\correctly c) simple google should find most of what you need to do do it easily.
azaz44

Post by azaz44 »

DruiD wrote:
07 Oct 2022 14:06
@az
azaz44 wrote:
26 Sep 2022 18:41
Yes, I did, I used a simple process to convert the .BAT file to a .EXE - added the .EXE to my Steam library - and run it via STeam Link to my TV.
I assume thats what your trying to do... and yes it works.

The BAT file runs a ssequence of JAVA files, so you just have to workk out what method to convert to EXE works for your verssion of windows, your speccific PC setup etcc- and whilst I can recommend to explain via direct message, I prefer not to public publish as a) its not supported method for Heli-X otherwise author would have done it so defintely wont post without their approval\guidance b) will cause other problems for people that dont understand the proccess and can't do it carefully\correctly c) simple google should find most of what you need to do do it easily.
Can you share the method, or just share the link?
Actually I know quite a lot about software dev, but didn't find any easy way to do this. My understanding is, it's not just about getting BAT to EXE, but this EXE has to run the Heli-X process later on, so Steam can detect it properly. But maybe I didn't explore too many options. Simple BAT2EXE didn't work for me.

I think this isn't really anything you should not publish.. The author has chosen BAT and it works perfect for most applications. And the code is obfuscated anyway. But sure, if you prefer I can ask you in private.

About SteamLink - yes, I want to do exactly what you do. My PC is two floors below in my office, but I sim in my living room too, streaming to nVidia Shield and a beamer. Works with Accu, next, but I prefer Heli-X nowadays.
azaz44

Post by azaz44 »

Now I see Michael said stream and not Steam, I missed this before :)
azaz44

Post by azaz44 »

Maybe this deserves a bit of explanation for Michael, because it's a bit counterintuitive..
Steam has SteamLink which allows you to stream a game from one device to another. I stream from my PC (2 floors below) to Android TV (nvidia Shield).

What is a bit counterintuitive is that you can stream non-Steam games too. Just use "Add non-Steam game to library" or sth like that. And you can run non-Steam games over Steam, and also stream them.
DruiD

Post by DruiD »

So i just used this script == link below
Create a batch file with that script \ copy pasted, You drag the run-HeliX bat file onto it .. it creates the EXE
Add the EXE to steam as non-steam game as normal method.
I changed the iccon to the heli-X.ico file from the simulator install directory.
Run the game from steam - steam link it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/50364/convert ... -exe-file/
DruiD

Post by DruiD »

azaz44 wrote:
07 Oct 2022 22:16
I stream from my PC (2 floors below) to Android TV (nvidia Shield)
Maybe it maters, maybe it doesnt - but I actually have the "actual" Valve steam link 'box' on my TV, not through Nvidia shield OR the Android Team link app.

IT loads fine, shows all the black java code on the TV first, then the main simulator splash screen and away i fly wirelessly.

I am using RX2Sim with a proper RX receiver etc, not up\down stairs - but a good 50 meters away from my office\study where my main steam gaming PC is and my Rx2Sim dongle etc and it works pretty well.
DruiD

Post by DruiD »

heli-x-steamlink.jpg
heli-x-steamlink.jpg (100.19 KiB) Viewed 3839 times